Testing the “Feltability” of Art Batts

Today I started doing some experiments to see how well my newly-carded art batts will felt.

IMG_4350

Using a bit more than one-half ounce of fiber pulled in a shaggy length from the edge of one batt, I quickly placed fibers to lay out a cobweb scarf. I added a few silk fabric strips, sprinkled on a bit more silk fiber and some sparkling angelina, added some extra fiber to each end to create more interest.

I hesitate to include an image of this layout — should it fail, I’d feel awful about misleading anyone!

I kept track of length and width of layout, and amount of fiber used. I’ll also keep track of how long it takes me to felt and full this piece — which will be a short scarf or collar size when completed (after all, it’s an experiment…).IMG_4353

So I’m hoping for an interesting cobweb felted wearable when done, and will post whatever the process yields… if it’s presentable! If it’s not presentable, I hope that my further explorations will help fellow felters interested in using art batts for feltmaking.

Advertisements
Published in: on January 16, 2014 at 2:09 pm  Leave a Comment  

The URI to TrackBack this entry is: https://woolyblissfeltmaking.wordpress.com/2014/01/16/testing-the-feltability-of-art-batts/trackback/

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: